Sam Hornish Jr., No. 12 WURTH Dodge Challenger R/T Texas Motor Speedway PreviewPress Release
No. 12 WURTH Dodge Challenger
O’Reilly Auto Parts 300
Texas Motor Speedway – Ft. Worth, Texas
April 13, 2012
TV- ESPN2 @ 8:00 p.m. ET; Radio – MRN/Sirius 90 @ 8:00 p.m. ET
No. 12 WURTH Dodge Team News and Notes
- Sam Hornish Jr., driver of the No. 12 Wurth Dodge Challenger, will make his sixth start of the 2012 NASCAR Nationwide Series (NNS) season Friday evening in the O’Reilly Auto Parts 300 at Texas Motor Speedway (TMS).
- This race marks the debut of WURTH as a primary sponsor of the No. 12 Penske Racing Dodge in NNS competition. WURTH will serve as a primary at a total of seven events this year. The Wurth Companies of North America provide customers with everything they need to succeed in the Automotive, Industrial and Woodworking Industries. Whether it is a small body shop or nationwide fleet maintenance company, Wurth USA offers the unparalleled selection and unbeatable service that is synonymous with the Wurth brand.
- Hornish’s return to TMS marks his 13th consecutive year of competing at the venue.
- This will mark Hornish’s fifth Nationwide Series start at TMS. He has six NSCS starts at TMS and 13 IICS starts which include three victories at the venue (2007, 2002 & 2001) and two poles (2006 & 2001)
- From 2006 to present, Hornish has made a total of 38 NNS starts. He has scored one victory, two top-five and eight top-10 finishes and has also claimed five top-five and 12 top-10 starting positions during that time.
- After five races Hornish and the WURTH Dodge team are fifth in the NNS Championship point standings.
- This weekend the No. 12 WURTH Dodge Challenger will race with chassis No. 223 which is brand new to the Penske Racing stable.
- Penske Racing has 353 all-time race victories with 101 stock car wins and 414 pole positions overall including 128 NASCAR poles.
- Tune in to SpeedTV on Sunday, April 15 to see Hornish as he continues in his first season as an analyst on SPEED Center.
Sam Hornish Jr. comments about this weekend’s O’Reilly Auto Parts 300
“I always enjoy Texas – the fans are great and the track is too. We’ve had a lot of success there with IndyCar including celebrating championships, my last IndyCar win and my best NASCAR Sprint Cup Series start. The fans there are very special, they helped raise nearly a half million dollars for local children’s charities with the Sam Hornish Jr Celebrity Bowling Tournament. This event is also significant since it is the debut of the No. 12 Wurth Dodge Challenger, which is a big deal for us.”
Crew Chief Chad Walter comments about this weekend’s O’Reilly Auto Parts 300
“Texas is a place where, as a crew chief, you feel like the Wurth Dodge Challenger’s speed is 20 mph faster than they really are. I think that the track characteristic – “tunnel bumps” and it has aged – will make it more challenging for drivers and crews to tune the car. Track position is always a key since it takes almost half the race before multiple lines start to develop. The night race should be fun and the cool night air should enhance the speeds to a new level for the NNS teams. All in all we are really looking forward to the race in the Lone Star state.”
- Penske Racing Press Release
Article Tags: IICS, IZOD IndyCar Series, NASCAR Nationwide Series, NNS, No. 12 WURTH Dodge Challenger R/T, O'Reilly Auto Parts 300, Penske Racing, Sam Hornish Jr, Texas Motor Speedway, TMS