INDYCAR News and Notes – April 10, 2012Press Release
Today’s IZOD IndyCar Series, Firestone Indy Lights and Mazda Road to Indy headlines:
1. Andries joins Bryan Herta Autosport at Long Beach
2. Drivers test at Infineon Raceway
3. Brazilians Kanaan, Barrichello to interact with fans in Live and Global event
1. Andries joins Bryan Herta Autosport at Long Beach: Rising American racer Nick Andries will make his Firestone Indy Lights debut with Bryan Herta Autosport on the Streets of Long Beach.
Andries, a veteran of Star Mazda Championship competition, finished third in the series last season for Team Pelfrey.
He was the Star Mazda Quarter Master Clutch Performer Award winner for advancing the most places in 2010, scoring four top-10 finishes in a partial season. He also competed full-time in the Skip Barber Pro Series. He was the 2009 winner of Skip Barber Karting Shootout and Skip Barber Summer Series Champion.
“I’m very excited to make my Firestone Indy Lights debut in Long Beach,” said Andries. “I’ve never been there before but every driver dreams about racing at Long Beach. You don’t get to race there in Star Mazda or some of the other Mazda Road to Indy programs, so I’m very excited. After missing the first two races, I’m looking forward to just getting some experience in the Lights car and moving forward with my career.”
Andries’ No. 28 race car will be sponsored by Revo Global, Inc. and its Tbolt™ brand. The Tbolt branding will be joined on the car by Barracuda Networks and Beyond Payrol,.
“We are so excited to be affiliated with Bryan Herta Autosport through sponsoring their Indy Lights car and driver Nick Andries at Long Beach,” said Elliott Balbert, CEO of Revo Global Inc. “Their long-term success and quality reputation in the community has inspired us to want to support and become a part of the family that they have built.”
2. Drivers test at Infineon Raceway: While they were in California for this weekend’s 38th Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach, 13 IZOD IndyCar Series drivers took advantage of a day of testing on the Infineon Raceway road course April 9.
Honda- and Chevrolet-powered teams on the scenic course:
• Ryan Briscoe, Helio Castroneves, Will Power (Team Penske)
• Dario Franchitti and Scott Dixon (Target Chip Ganassi Racing)
• Charlie Kimball and Graham Rahal (Chip Ganassi Racing)
• Marco Andretti, Ryan Hunter-Reay and James Hinchcliffe (Andretti Autosport)
• Rubens Barrichello, Tony Kanaan, E.J. Viso (KV Racing Technology)
The daylong event was open to the public, which had the opportunity to interact with the drivers during the noontime break.
Franchitti posted the quickest lap at 1 minute, 17.2 seconds over the 12-turn, 2.303-mile road course. Kimball (1:17.4) and Rahal (1:17.5) followed, while Viso (1:17.80) and Kanaan (1:17.84) rounded out the top five. All times were reported by the drivers.
“I like this track very much,” said Barrichello, who was sixth quickest (1:17.88). “It’s very difficult with the blind apexes. It’s good that I can test again, and every time I’m improving. A track like this is very good and it teaches me a lot.”
3. Brazilians Kanaan, Barrichello to interact with fans in Live and Global event: Rubens Barrichello and Tony Kanaan will be the guests April 14 for the first “Ortsbo Live & Global: IZOD IndyCar Series” of 2012 from the INDYCAR Fan Village at the Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach.
Through Ortsbo’s instant live subtitling technology on the Live & Global platform, viewers around the world can watch the Q&A in real-time through an online video stream with closed captioning in any one of Ortsbo’s 53 languages.
The Q&A (7 p.m. ET) will be hosted by Andretti Autosport driver James Hinchcliffe.
Additionally, fans can submit written questions directly to Barrichello and Kanaan and follow along with the answers, all in their native language.
“The fans and media have been very welcoming and supportive of me through the first two races of the season,” said Barrichello, a 19-year Formula One veteran who is competing in his first IZOD IndyCar Series season. “I’m looking forward to this opportunity to answer their questions.”
Register to watch the chat in advance or join live at www.liveandglobal.com/indycar.
“The ‘Ortsbo Live & Global: IZOD IndyCar Series’ will instantly turn the Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach into an international event, letting the racers take live questions from fans anywhere in the world and have the questions, answers, and full conversation instantly translated using Ortsbo’s subtitling technology,” said David Lucatch, CEO of Ortsbo. “This allows racing fans to experience the excitement of the race day directly from the drivers themselves, no matter where they may be in the world.”
Ortsbo is the Official Online Translation Partner for the IZOD IndyCar Series and Firestone Indy Lights.
The 2012 IZOD IndyCar Series season continues with the Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach on April 15 on the Streets of Long Beach, Calif. The race will be telecast live at 3:30 p.m. (ET) by NBC Sports Network. The IMS Radio Network will also carry the race live on XM Channel 94 and Sirius 212. The next Firestone Indy Lights race is the Grand Prix of Long Beach on April 15. It will be telecast by NBC Sports Network at 5 p.m. (ET) on April 19.
Source: INDYCAR, Press Release
Article Tags: BHA, Bryan Herta Autosport, Bryan Herta Autosport (BHA), FIL, FILS, Firestone, Firestone Firehawk Tires, Firestone Indy Lights, Firestone Indy Lights Series, Grand Prix of Long Beach, IICS, IndyCar, IZOD, IZOD IndyCar Series, Long Beach, Long Beach (CA), Mazda Road to Indy, Rubens Barrichello, Streets of Long Beach, Streets of Long Beach (CA), Tony Kanaan, Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach