INDYCAR News and Notes – July 24, 2012Press Release
Today’s IZOD IndyCar Series, Firestone Indy Lights and Mazda Road to Indy headlines:
1. Edmonton Technical penalty update
2. Mid-Ohio test expected to draw most of IZOD IndyCar field
3. Bourdais to compete at the Super Weekend
4. Rahal to compete at Surfers event
1. Edmonton Technical penalty update: There were no technical penalties issued following the IZOD IndyCar Series race at Edmonton City Centre Airport.
2. Mid-Ohio test expected to draw most of IZOD IndyCar field: The 2012 Dallara chassis prototype made its testing debut on the Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course last August, and this week 21 IZOD IndyCar Series drivers will test the refined road/street course package of the new car in advance of the Aug. 3-5 Honda Indy 200 at Mid-Ohio.
The July 26 event at the facility in Lexington, Ohio, will be open to spectators from 10 a.m.-3 p.m. They’re welcome to bring food and/or coolers to watch the activity from the Keyhole or infield of the 2.258-mile, 13-turn course. Enter through Gate 3. Tickets for the race weekend will be available for purchase at Gate 2.
Target Chip Ganassi Racing’s Scott Dixon has won the race three of the past five years, including in 2011. He’ll be joined at the test by teammate Dario Franchitti, the reigning series champion and 2011 race runner-up, series championship points leader Ryan Hunter-Reay and Edmonton Indy winner Helio Castroneves.
Indy cars have been competing at the venue since 1980 (Johnny Rutherford winning). The Honda Indy 200 at Mid-Ohio will be the 12th of 15 stops for 2012.
Mid-Ohio has partnered with the Graham Rahal Foundation and Columbus Zoo and Aquarium for a special race weekend ticket offer atwww.midohio.com/zoo, with $5 of each Zoo Donation ticket sold going to the Graham Rahal Foundation.
The first 1,000 tickets sold will come with a voucher for free admission to the Columbus Zoo in 2012 and a Graham Rahal autographed hero card. All fans that purchase these Zoo Donation tickets will be entered to win a VIP experience at the Columbus Zoo and a meet and greet with Rahal during the race weekend.
Fans who already purchased tickets can call 800-643-6446 to donate $5 to the Foundation. During the event weekend, fans also have the opportunity to donate to the Graham Rahal Foundation at most concession and souvenir stands.
General parking is free and children 12 and under are also admitted free.
Rahal finished fourth in the Edmonton Indy in the No. 38 Service Central Chip Ganassi Racing car.
3. Bourdais to compete at the Super Weekend: Dragon Racing’s Sebastien Bourdais will co-drive a Starworks Motorsport car with Alex Popow in the Daytona Prototype category of the three-hour GRAND-Am Brickyard Grand Prix at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway on July 27.
Bourdais drove the final stint with Starworks in Round 2 of the North American Endurance Championship event, finishing third in the Sahlen’s Six Hours of The Glen with Ryan Dalziel and Enzo Potolicchio earlier this month.
4. Rahal to compete at Surfers event: Service Central Chip Ganassi Racing driver Graham Rahal confirmed that he will co-drive a V8 Supercar in the Gold Coast 600 in October. Rahal will drive alongside Rick Kelly in a Kelly Racing Team entry.
“I was thrilled to get the call to participate in the event,” said Rahal. “It’s definitely a big thanks to the Kelly group for the opportunity. The Gold Coast has become one of the marquee motorsports events for racing drivers from all disciplines and to compete with one of the premier teams in the series in my first go at it is a real honor.”
Andretti Autosport driver Marco Andretti (Todd Kelly/Kelly Racing) and Dragon Racing driver Sebastien Bourdais have also said they will be part of the international lineup to be paired with a regular driver. Bourdais claimed the Dan Wheldon Trophy as top international driver at the Gold Coast 600 in 2011.
The 2012 IZOD IndyCar Series race continues with the Honda Indy 200 at Mid-Ohio on Aug. 5 at Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course. The race will be televised by ABC at 12:30 p.m. (ET) and broadcast by the IMS Radio Network on SiriusXM (XM 94 and Sirius 212). The next Firestone Indy Lights race is the Grand Prix of Trois Rivieres on Aug. 5 on the Streets of Trois Rivieres, Quebec.
Source: INDYCAR, Press Release
Article Tags: Firestone, Firestone Indy Lights, IICS, IndyCar, IZOD, Mazda, Mazda Road to Indy